Re: Josh Crawford, Australia, Slackware 12.0, kernel 2.6.21.5-smp

On 31/01/2008, Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry Joshua for such a trivial answer, but this may happen, to me at least:

Thank you for the prompt reply.

> have you seen in the instructions (better, fresh, attached)
> that you should create the following links (must be root to do it)
>          ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/ttySAGR
>          ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/modem
> and of course rerun wvdialconf to see if wvdialconf will detect the modem.
>
> Indeed, at least wvdialconf scans for modems at /dev/ttyS*  which
> The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttyAGS3
> does not obey (note, always an S after tty ).

I had editted wvdial.conf to point to the symlink at /dev/modem.
Taking your advice, I modified the udev rule to create a symlink to
/dev/ttySAGR as well as /dev/modem. wvdialconf tests the new symlink,
but can't find the modem there at any speed.

Going through the updated instructions at the end of your email, I
tried 1) turning off the onboard sound, 2) adding pci=noacpi to the
kernel commandline (also tried acpi=off), 3) doing 1 and 2 together,
and 4) moving the card to another pci slot and trying 1-3 again. None
of that had any effect except to change the IRQ.
--
Joshua Crawford ... http://geocities.com/mortarn

http://www.emailcash.com.au/join.asp?refer=G84381
Emailcash - Free rewards for shopping online