Re: FC8, slmodemd, wvdial can't find modem.

--- William Estrada <MrUmunhum@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi group,
>   I have just installed slmodemd on my new FC8
> system on my Fujitsu
> LifeBook laptop and
> I can't get it to work right. I have run scanModem
> and put the output at:
>   http://64.124.13.3/SLmodem/
> Also, the output from wvdial, a script Modem run to
> setup slmodemd and
> my /etc/modules.conf.
> I have read everything and I am lost about what is
> wrong. I did get
> minicom to work almost.
> It found the modem but could not dial out, "NO
> CARRIER", but that was a
> day ago.
>
> Any help?

William,

you have two modems, from your scanModem output

\begin{QUOTE}
For candidate modem in PCI bus:  00:03.0
   Class 0703: 10b9:5457 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457
AC'97 Modem Controller
      Primary PCI_id  10b9:5457
    Subsystem PCI_id  10cf:1130
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
                               from    Archives:

 Lacking a dsp (digital signal processing) chip, the
modem is a software
 intensive or "softmodem" type. Its primary controller
manages the traffic
 with the CPU. But the software needed is specified in
the Subsystem.
Support type needed or chipset:	slamr

----------------end Softmodem section --------------
The modem is supported by the Smartlink slamr driver
plus the slmodemd helper utility.  Read the
Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

For 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 compiling drivers is necessary. As
of October 2007 the current packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
are the
ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and
slmodem-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz

Writing Smartlink.txt
============ end Smartlink section
=====================

 For candidate modem in PCI bus:  00:04.0
   Class 0401: 10b9:5451 Multimedia audio controller:
ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio
Device
      Primary PCI_id  10b9:5451
    Subsystem PCI_id  10cf:11c3
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
                               from    Archives:

 Lacking a dsp (digital signal processing) chip, the
modem is a software
 intensive or "softmodem" type. Its primary controller
manages the traffic
 with the CPU. But the software needed is specified in
the Subsystem.
Support type needed or chipset:	slmodemd

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem
driver:  snd-ali5451
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the
modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem
software)
 complementary High Level support is through a
Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem
is setup with command:
 	 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa -s hw:0,1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for
follow through guidance.

----------------end Softmodem section --------------

http://64.124.13.3/SLmodem/scanout.00_03.0

PCIDEV=10b9:5457
CLASS="Class 0703: 10b9:5457"
NAME="Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem
Controller"
Vendor=10b9
Device=5457
SUBSYS=10cf:1130
SUBNAME=" Fujitsu Limited. Unknown device 1130"
SUBven=10cf
IRQ=11
Test="./scanModem test 10b9:5457 10cf:1130"
SLMODEMD_DEVICE="/dev/slamr0"
PORT="/dev/slamr0"
IDENT=slmodemd
OPT=
Driver=slamr
SoftChip=
CODECd=
CHIP=0x
CODECd=
CODECp=
CODEC=
COD=
HDA=
Driver=slamr
DRIVER=slamr
SOFT=10b9:5457.MC97
IDENT=slmodemd
TST=

http://64.124.13.3/SLmodem/scanout.00_04.0

PCIDEV=10b9:5451
CLASS="Class 0401: 10b9:5451"
NAME="Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation
M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device "
Vendor=10b9
Device=5451
SUBSYS=10cf:11c3
SUBNAME=" Fujitsu Limited. Unknown device 11c3"
SUBven=10cf
IRQ=11
Test="./scanModem test 10b9:5451 10cf:11c3"
SLMODEMD_DEVICE="-s hw:0,1"
PORT="-s hw:0,1"
IDENT=slmodemd
OPT=
Driver=snd-ali5451
SoftChip=
CODECd=
CHIP=0x
CODECd=
CODECp=
CODEC=
COD=
HDA=
Driver=snd-ali5451
DRIVER=snd_ali5451
SOFT=10b9:5451.MC97
IDENT=slmodemd
TST=
\end{QUOTE}

Now which one did you try?   Did you try slmodemd,

 Download from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem
is setup with command:
 	 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa -s hw:0,1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read Smartlink.txt and Modem/YourSystem.txt for
follow through guidance.

or the slamr which creates /dev/slamr0

For 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 compiling drivers is necessary. As
of October 2007 the current packages at
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
are the
ungrab-winmodem-20070505.tar.gz and
slmodem-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz

As for no carrier error, did you add

Carrier Check = no

to your /etc/wvdial.conf file?

Please post exactly what you are getting.

Regards,

Antonio

Looking for last minute shopping deals?