Re: Ivan, Serbia kernel 2.6.15-23-386

Drafter,

Compiling fails because you do not have gcc installed:
This is directly from ScanModem output that you have sent.  You need
to do this so that your modem drivers can compile

$ sudo apt-get install  gcc-4.0  make
Additionally the package linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386 must be downloaded.
Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/  and search for linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386
After downloading, it can be installed with:
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-header*.deb

If that is unsuccessful, do try the alternate methods provided below.

\begin{QUOTE}
If compiling a modem driver proves to be necessary, one of the two
procedures must be followed.
If not yet on the Internet, put the Dapper install CD in the drive
Open a terminal and therein:
$ sudo apt-get install  gcc-4.0  make
Additionally the package linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386 must be downloaded.
Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/  and search for linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386
After downloading, it can be installed with:
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-header*.deb

Or alternatively if online through Ethernet do:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
will do all the necessary installations mentioned above.

In either installation case, set a symbolic link which will be expected later:
$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.0  /usr/bin/gcc
After check with:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*
which should display:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 2006-07-09 21:53 /usr/bin/gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 93584 2006-04-20 18:22 /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16245 2006-04-20 18:13 /usr/bin/gccbug-4.0

 linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386 resources needed for compiling are not
manifestly ready!

 If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
	gcc-4.0 make linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of
some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed package
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
\end{QUOTE}

Hope this helps,