Verifying that siemens mc35i internal modem not linmodem

To d@xxxxxx,

Having a vehicle computer (Sunit d12) with a siemens mc35i internal modem that as far as I understand is not a linmodem. However, to be sure I ran scanModem. Based on attached ModemData.txt can it then be concluded that mentioned modem is not a linmodem?

A bit of background: I'm newbie in modems ... with SuSE 10.0 and OpenSuse 10.2 vanillas I get the modem running without doing anything except for setting up pppd with ISP info and inserting SIM. Most of the time the modem runs without problems, but once in a while it hangs for a day or even more. Can't even communicate with it using Kermit. I'm not able to reproduce the modem hanging - some times that is just state of affairs and now I am trying to hunt down what is wrong and what to do.

Anybody experiences with mentioned modem or good pointers on what direction to go. I'm slowly making my way thru the Modem-HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html) and came across the linmodem business and wanted to rule that out ...

Thanks MJ
 Only plain text email is forwarded by the  Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List Server,
 as HTML can contain viruses. Use as the email Subject Line:
           YourName, YourCountry
Welcome to SUSE LINUX 10.0 (i586) - Kernel  kernel 2.6.13-15.15-default
 With this Subject Line cogent experts will be alerted, and useful case names left in the Archive.
 YourCountry will enable Country specific guidance. Your contry's local Linux experts
 can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
 So in a day, also check the Archived responses at http://www.linmodems.org
--------------------------  System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,
Welcome to SUSE LINUX 10.0 (i586) - Kernel
Linux version 2.6.13-15.15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Mon Feb 26 14:11:33 UTC 2007
 scanModem update of:  2008_01_01

 There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe*  files
USB modem not detected by lsusb

 === Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section. ===
 === Next deducing cogent software ===

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udevdb

 Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.0.2
             and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.0.2

 Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
   make utility - /usr/bin/make
   Compiler version 4.0
   linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.15-default/build

 However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
 in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in  /usr/include/ .
 For martian_modem, additional required packages are libc6-dev (and for Debian/Ubuntu,  linux-libc-dev). The also required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include. The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed package
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Checking pppd properties:
	-rwsr-xr-x  1 root dialout 279704 Sep  9  2005 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
    http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
	$ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
         chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
	 chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of:	/etc/ppp/options
noipdefault
noauth
crtscts
lock
modem
asyncmap 0
nodetach
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
lcp-max-configure 60
lcp-restart 2
idle 600
noipx
file /etc/ppp/filters

In case of a message like:
   Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Read Modem/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

 Don't worry about the following, it is for the experts
 should trouble shooting be necessary.

 Checking for modem support lines:
 --------------------------------------
     /device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL=="modems/mwave*",	NAME="%k", GROUP="uucp"
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:# 219 /dev/modems/mwave MWave modem firmware upload
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL=="mwave",		NAME="modems/%k"
     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.conf:# Linux ACP modem (Mwave)
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------