Re: which modem do you recommend?

Sheng-Chieh
   Without doubt, use the wvdial package.  It is the front end to many
fancier dialers/
and best for trouble shooting.  If Controller chipset modems can fit
the overall system budget, they are preferred, as they only require
Linux serial drivers.
All other modems will require driver compiling with kernel upgrades

MarvS
scanModem maintainer