Re: smartlink internal modem in fedora

You have done the following,

[root@localhost ~]# cd /root/Desktop
[root@localhost Desktop]# modprobe ungrab-winmodem20070505
FATAL: Module ungrab_winmodem not found.
[root@localhost Desktop]#      modprobe slamr
FATAL: Module slamr not found.
[root@localhost Desktop]#
root@localhost Desktop]# modprobe slmodem-2.9.11-20070813
FATAL: Module slmodem_2.9.11_20070813 not found.

You do not have to do this as root user, you can have a regular user
account to do this,

please do the following:
[root@localhost Desktop]# tar -zxvf slmodem-2.9.11-20070813.tar.gz
[root@localhost Desktop]# tar -zxvf ungrab-winmodem-200700505.tar.gz
[root@localhost Desktop]# cd slmodem-2.9.11-20070813
[root@localhost slmodem-2.9.11-20070813]# make
KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.23.8-34.fc7/build
if this fails please run
   [root@localhost slmodem-2.9.11-20070813]# yum install
kernel-devel-2.6.23.8-34.fc7 -y
else

[root@localhost slmodem-2.9.11-20070813]# make
[root@localhost slmodem-2.9.11-20070813]# make install
[root@localhost slmodem-2.9.11-20070813]# cd ../ungrab-winmodem-20070505
[root@localhost ungrab-winmodem-20070505]# make
[root@localhost ungrab-winmodem-20070505]# make install
[root@localhost ungrab-winmodem-20070505]# modprobe ungrab-winmodem

if this fails do
[root@localhost ungrab-winmodem-20070505]# su -
password:
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ungrab-winmodem
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe slamr
[root@localhost ~]# slmodemd -c INDIA /dev/slamr0

you should see message and press CTRL+C to quit

if you do not then something is wrong.

To find your modem if you see the message that slmodemd is working,
open up another terminal and run
[root@localhost ~]# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

add your username and passwords by editing wvdial.conf file manually
and remove the ";", add a line
"carrier check = no" to the file

when you are going to use the modem to connect to the internet instead
of "eth0", please type
[root@localhost ~]#  ifconfig eth0 down
before attempting to dialout
[root@localhost ~]# wvdial

Please report back if you have questions/troubles.

Regards,

Antonio

P.S.  sorry not to have responded earlier, but I had trouble connecting to net