Si3054 success, problems on OpenSuSE 10.3

Hello, Much to my joy, I have almost everything on my laptop working
with Linux except the modem.
It's an Si3054 Alsa modem, identified by

Vendor Id: 0x11c11040 in /proc/asound/card0/codec#1.

It's detected by aplay -l, as  subdevice 6.

I've installed SLModemd, and I can launch it with slmodemd -C CANADA -a hw:0,6 and it will start fine and create /dev/ttySL0.

I can then configure it etc. using wvdial or yast. Dialing is a different story though. It will initialize the modem fine
(it responds to init strings) but at ATDT(phone #) it will stick for a bit and then fail. I tried picking up the phone during
this stage, and there are no dialing noises...
So close and yet so far.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? They'd be greatly appreciated, as this laptop (MSI 662) was purchased without OS for the purpose of making it a linux-only box.
TIA!