Re: Anthony Inzero, USA kernel

Excellent news Anthony and excellent work!
As I had "predicted" your modem is using a Conexant chipset.
You do not explain what you mean by "to no avail".
Gnome PPP may be a fancy and convenient tool when everything goes right,
But it does not help debugging.
Let's split the job in two parts:
1-install and run the common version of the Linuxant driver, free as long as you accept a speed limitation at 14.4 kbauds. 2-Later, you will try to replace it by the unlimited version from the Dell support link.

Open http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/
There is an HSF block on the left.
Read the documentation, mainly "Install".
Click "Download".
Agree to terms.
In the middle of the new page near the top, click the link "driver download page.
Look for Ubuntu Gursy (your system): last line in table at this time.
Click on i386
The top line matches your kernel  2.6.22-14-generic
Download the file hsfmodem_7.68.00.04full_k2.6.22_14_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
Decompress it with
unzip hsfmodem_7.68.00.04full_k2.6.22_14_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
and from now on follow the installation instructions which you have carefully read before.

DO NOT PLAY WITH Gnome PPP or the like.
Rather, read http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/wvdial.html
Understand from there that wvdial is a two steps application, wvdialconf which you run once for all, and wvdial which you run every time you want to connect.
Remember:  sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf  to configure wvdial
Edit /etc/wvdial.conf as explained
sudo wvdial      to connect
and let it run until you want to stop the connection (which you do with CTRL-C).

If you need further help, we are here.

Jacques

Anthony Inzero wrote:
Jacques,

I've tried the dell modem driver located
(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R155004&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=UBLN&osl=en&deviceid=8593&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=20&fileid=206745)
to no avail. I've run scanModem again with the sudo command to see if
I can get more info, the file is attached.  I've looked in my BIOS and
it tells me the modem is a Conexant HDA D330 MDC modem. I also have
the hsfmodem package installed and GNOME PPP still don't detect
anything. Seems like there isn't much support for HDA modems?

Thanks,

-Anthony