RE: Mascellani, Italy kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

Practically do the following
1. Update your ALSA to 1.0.15
2. Install slmodemd

To update them you should download the source from internet. Use other
OS (may be Windows) or use other connection (But usually if we have
other connection we don't want to dial up)

1. Update to ALSA
Go to http://www.alsa-project.org and download the following
Alsa-driver-1.0.15
Alsa-libs-1.0.15

Under linux unpack both files
$ tar jxvf alsa-dri*.tar.bz2
$ tar jxvf alsa-lib*.tar.bz2

compile & install the drivers:

$cd alsa-dri*
$./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
$make
$sudo make install

Then restart Linux

Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd.
Unpack under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with
command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some numbe