Re: jcamps, spain, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic

Jose,

Your laptop doesnot manifest a PCI card modem.
In case it is an older serial card modem try:
$ sudo wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf

With a:
Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
an older   companion mc97 modem would be common, if functional.

The last option to check would be an older non-PCI Lucent/Agere DSP
modem present on some older laptops.

How old is your laptop.

MarvS