Re: Any full and free driver for conexant modems

Dear wvoutlaw2002,

If you are shopping for sport, http://www.olitec.fr/ has a button showing LINUX (under the top red bar) whic, when clicked, shows a penguin. The SECOND link BELOW the penguin has the drivers. The challenge is to make them work under non obsolete kernels, for Conexant devices more recent than those listed in the README (this second part is not difficult).

If you care for saving money and your time too has some value, then you will save if you pay the Linuxant license. You may even possibly need to spend 20$ for a few private lessons to understand the Web page for Linux at Olitec, if you do not know French.

Jacques

wvoutlaw2002@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The drivers available on the Linuxant site double as free versions and paid versions. The free versions are limited to 14.4 kbps speed, while the full version is full speed (56 kbps). The license for the full version is tied in to your modem's unique ID number, so if you have two computers which both have HSF modems, you have to buy two separate licenses.

If you're lucky, you may be able to find sites on the internet which still have the beta versions of the Linuxant drivers for download. These beta versions required no licenses and were full speed as soon as they were properly installed. When I first got involved with Linux (Linspire 4.5), I had to use a beta of the HCF driver for my Riptide HCF modem to get online (I had to install gcc-2.95 and the 2.4.24 kernel source in order to get it installed).