Re: David, UK, Ubuntu 7.04 kernel 2.6.20-15-generic

David,

1- Is this what scanModem wrote on your screen, or the complete contents of the file ModemData.txt (which is what we need) located in the directory Modem which scanModem has created? 2- Have you been running scanModem using the sudo command ? If not, you should have.

Hoping that this will be enough for you to supply the information necessary to help you.

Jacques

David2006@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, Anyone make any sense of this please? I've just installed Ubuntu on a dual boot Windows XP laptop with internal modem, but can't get an internet connection with Ubuntu. It works fine with XP. I'm an Ubuntu and Linux virgin - be gentle with me please :-) If I launch Firefox and attempt to browse to a web address the computer doesn't attempt to dial up and just says the website is unavailable. Is is something to do with the modem / lack of a driver? I've run the utility as suggested on the web site with the output below. Thanks.

Only plain text email is forwarded by the DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List Server.
Do use the following as the email Subject Line:
          SomeName, YourCountry Ubuntu 7.04  kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
This will alert cogent experts, and  distinguish cases in the Archives.
YourCountry will enable Country Code guidance.
Occassionally responses are blocked by an Internet Provider mail filters.
So in a day, also check the Archived responses at http://www.linmodems.org . Local Linux experts can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
--------------------------  System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,  Ubuntu 7.04
Linux version 2.6.20-15-generic (root@palmer) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)) #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007
scanModem update of:  2007_May_11

ALSAversion 1.0.13
USB modem not detected by lsusb

Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information:

PCI slot PCI ID  SubsystemID Name
---------- --------- --------- --------------
00:1f.6 8086:24c6 0e11:0860 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM

Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
10: 138659 XT-PIC-XT uhci_hcd:usb1, ohci1394, eth0, Intel 82801DB-ICH4, radeon@pci:0000:01:00.0

--- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot 00:1f.6 ----
[ 16.299577] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.6[B] -> Link [C0C3] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
[   16.299586] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1f.6 disabled

The PCI slot 00:1f.6 of the modem card may be disabled early in
a bootup process,  but then enabled later. If modem drivers load
but the  modem is not responsive, read Bootup.txt about possible fixes.
Send dmesg.txt along with ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
if help is needed.

=== Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section. ===
=== Next deducing cogent software ===