From: Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mar 21, 2007 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: Modem not setup
To: Mark Stevenson <markstevenson@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mark,

Drivers will have to be compiled for your modem
 PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
 ----------     ---------       ---------       --------------
 00:09.0        8086:1040       8086:1007       Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem

for which your System is prepared.  Would you please run the modem
diagnostics under Microsoft and report the outputs to us.  The reason
is that the
PCI_ID 8086:1040  modems typically are 537EP types.  The difference is
that the 536ep  do have a signal processing chip while for the 537EP
types all signal processing proceeds on the CPU.  If the diagnostics
had reported
 8086:1040      with a Subsystem  8086:1005 , then instructions for Intel537ep
support would have been output.  Please run:
$ ./scanModem test 8086:1040 8086:1005
to output some additional guidance into the Modem/  folder

A support package for 537EP packages can also support the 536EP types.
So read the attached intel.txt  and from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/
download the  intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.1_19_01_2007.tgz
and copy into your Linux partition.  Unpack with:
$ tar zxf Intel*.tgz
To make movement easier set a symbolic link:
$ ln -s intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.1_19_01_2007  intel
Then you can move into the folder with:
$ cd intel
Look around
$ ls
Files can be browsed with
$ less filename
or any text browser.

In sequence do:
$ make clean
$ make  537
If succcessful, the driver should be displayed by:
$ ls *.ko

If so complete the installation with:
$ su - root
# make install

Follow the guidance in Testing.txt for setting up a dialout.

DO report back if additional help is needed.

MarvS