Re: Hiding user e-mail in the archive.

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Jacques Goldberg wrote:

> Dear XXX,
> Sebastien requested to have his e-mail address retroactively hidden in
> the archives.
> I do not quote your message because I wish that Sebastien reads my
> response too and you had not cc'ed him.
> As both of you can see, your addresses are hidden, by writing to myself
> with Bcc's to both of you.

I sent the message to you, alone, because it's off-topic and the thread
should die *quickly*. If you think it worthwile, I can send my reason for
opposing redacted e-mail addresses to either the group or Sebastien alone
(feel free to do so yourself). This message is also to you, alone; feel
free to do with it as you please.

I'm not surprised that the database doesn't lend itself to a simple
search-and-replace. It was just a passing thought about how to implement a
*bad idea*. Unfortunately, the send-to-yourself-and-bcc-to-others
technique also appears to be a bad idea for two reasons. First, it does
exactly the opposite of what Sebastien wants; it hides the recipient, but
exposes the sender. Second, it looks like a lot of spam. If/when I get
around to it I intend to write filter rules that rejects all e-mail that
aren't properly addresses "To: " me!