Re: laptop modem

Bravo
So this is one PCTEL modem supported by the smartlink driver.
Good to know.
Now to automatic starting.
Look in the directory created when you unpacked the dwonloaded driver file.
Read the instructions, they will direct you to a directory named  scripts.
Find a script fitting your system. It is ALSO named slmodemd and it is NOT the driver module slmodemd, but a script intended to start it when the machine gets booted (it can also be used at any time to start and stop the driver).
Copy the to /etc/init.d
Use your system configuration tool -> Services, look for the script in the list of available services, start it, and Save.

Jacques

shatz wrote:
Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
A reason for the failure now is that   most current Linux have ports
created in volatile RAM space,  /dev/.udev ,i.e. /dev/slamr0 is not
stable upon shutdown
However the devices can be manually created under root/adm persmission with:
        mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0
Then all will likely work as before.  Do then the
# modprobe ungrab-winmodem
# modprobe slamr
Try next the
       slmodemd -c RUSSIA   /dev/slamr0

As u told me, I've removed hsf* drivers then reinstalled slmodem&ungrab-winmodem and got a success! It works fine till reboot :) manual creation of dev/slamr0 doesn't help, BTW, I suppose installer does this itself the right way if running under root (I found this in inst output):
---
mkdir -p /dev
mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0 ; mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr1 c 242 1 ; mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr2 c 242 2 ; mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr3 c 242 3 ; echo -n mknod -m 600 /dev/slusb0 c 243 0 ; mknod -m 600 /dev/slusb1 c 243 1 ; mknod -m 600 /dev/slusb2 c 243 2 ; mknod -m 600 /dev/slusb3 c 243 3 ; echo -n
make install KERNEL_VER=2.6.17-5mdv
---

Thank you Marvin for helping me with this "Designed-for-WinXP" piece of hardw :)
so after reboot I'm giving commands:
mknod -m 600 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0
modprobe ungrab-winmodem
modprobe slamr
slmodemd <....>
and then modem successfully starts. What's the best way to automate this process and to force these modules to load at startup?

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
This device 1019:b732 indeed attaches to a 1039:7013 and the
1019:b732 is an HSP56 WDM (read, PCTel).
1019 identifies Elitegroup Computer Systems, a major Taiwan manufacturer.
You're absolutely right, modem's made by ECS, it's model is AM303W, and in windows it's recognized as PCTel.