Re: Tim, UK Ubuntu 6.10 kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

Tim

The problem may be the Trident audio drivers
-------------------------------
00-01: trident_dx_nx IEC958 : Trident 4DWave IEC958 : playback 1
00-00: trident_dx_nx : Trident 4DWave : playback 32 : capture 1
-------------------------------
which may not be fully compatible with the ALSA modem driver snd-intel8x0m

A potential work around is to unload drivers:
$ sudo modprobe -r snd-intel8x0m
$ sudo modprobe -r snd-intel8x0
$ sudo modprobe -r snd-trident

Then reload only:
$ sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0
$ sudo modprobe  snd-intel8x0m
and test the modem.

If snd-trident cannot be unloaded, it may be necessary to remove
/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/sound/pci/trident/snd-trident.ko
That is you may have to choose between modem support and audio support.

But run the above tests first.

MarvS