Re: Intel Modem

Gerry,
Your "by the way" is however FUNDAMENTAL.
Read Intel.txt next to ModemData.txt.
Intel has ceased maintenace, Philippe Vouters has taken over.
Genuine Intel versions do NOT work with your kernel.

The error which you got, is FUNDAMENTAL TOO.
There is no point in attempting to use the driver as long as this is not solved.
Your message is not clear.
I read it as having done in this sequence:
1-something which you do not say and did not find the file coredriv/.536core.lib.cmd
2-make clean  Ok
3-make 536    Ok
So which command has been given that has not been able to find that file?
Furthermore, I assume, because it CANNOT be otherwise, that the message which you got was about missing file
/home/gerry/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredriv/536core.lib.cmd
and not
./home/gerry/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredriv/.536core.lib.cmd
No . before first / and no . before 536core

So now please do exactly the following and send us the file  worklog.txt
which this will produce:

1-locate the | character (vertical bar) on your keyboard because you will need it.

2-type the commands ABSOLUTELY EXACTLY AS SHOWN

3-type   cd /home/gerry

4-type   rm -rf intel-536EP-2.56.76.0

5-type   tar zxf  intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_19_01_2007.tgz

6-type   cd intel-536EP-2.56.76.0

7-type   ls -alR | tee worklog.txt

8-type   make clean | tee -a worklog.txt

9-type   make 536 | tee -a worklog.txt

10-type  sudo make install | tee -a worklog.txt

11-type  sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf | tee -a worklog.txt

12-type sudo cat /etc/wvdial.conf | tee -a worklog.txt

and send that file worklog.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx , not directly to me, as more people are trying to help.

If you do not know how to copy this Linux file to another computer or to Windows on the same computer which is likely what you use to write to me, please say which peripheral(s) you have on your computer. Floppy disk? CD? DVD? a USB connector to be eventually used with an USB disk-on-key memory.

Jacques
Gerry & Marion Stannett wrote:
Hi Jacques,
Thank you for your prompt response.
To be sure that I had no false entries or driver screw ups, I restored Kubuntu and started with a fresh install. I downloaded the driver from the link you supplied intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_19_01_2007.tgz
(which by the way was different to the version that I obtained from Intel )
I followed your instructions implicitly and the driver installed.
That is to say, it went in with all the commands.
However during the installation this text appeared
"WARNING ! could not find ./home/gerry/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredriv/.536 core.lib.cmd
But the output produced was correct after typing
make clean
and after that readout by typing
make 536
I confirmed the installation with /sbin/lsmod and it displayed the driver details.
When I typed sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf  it reported:
" Sorry, no modem was detected ! Is it in use by another programme? Did you configure it properly with setserial ?" I'm unable to obtain any response with setserial with any type of command and have stopped at this point so as not to create any conflicts. It reports " command not found" no matter what I type. I ran scan modem and ModemData.text produced an identical read out to my previous email. I hope this throws some light on the situation, I will refrain from tinkering with anything until I hear from you again.
Thank you
Gerry