Re: Which PCI voice / fax modem to get.

John,
It seems that I did not make myself clear enough.
**WE ON THIS LIST** are not competent to direct you to a store and tell you what to purchase.
Pointing to the best source of INFORMATION is **ALL** I can do.

I would search for surplus modems and collate with Rob Clark's table,
rather than the reverse, selecting a modem a priori and trying to find it in a store also selected a priori.

Jacques

John Roberts wrote:
Jacques,

This is harder than I thought it would be.

I glanced at the Modem Database and I see that a handful of 3Com/US Robotics
modems are well supported with "Full Hardware chipset". I think 3Com / US
Robotics is a good brand because I think they build quality hardware.

I check their web site (http://www.usr.com/products/analog/p-56k-menu.asp )
and see that they currently make 3 different PCI modems. I check NewEgg to
get prices:

5610b Not available at NewEgg
5670 $8 (after $10 rebate)
5699 $25 (after $10 rebate)

I go back to the Modem Database looking for ether the 5670 or the 5699.

The 5699 will not work under Linux:
http://64.126.95.102:8080/gromitkc/analog/ad1807_1804.html

The 5670 is not even listed in the database.

This approach did not yield a modem solution.

I return to the Modem Database. I'm now looking for:

1. "Winmodem chipset with Linmodem drivers"
2. Marked "OK" in the modem database
3. Available for sale from New Egg or any other well-known online retailer
4. I prefer a reputable company, but I'm willing to forgo this requirement.

Every modem that I find in the Modem Database, I can't find for sale at
NewEgg.
Does anyone know of a modem that will satisfy these four requirements?

Thanks,
John