Re: Libetonyek build failure with Boost >=1.81

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 04:53:23PM +1000, Christoph Willing wrote:
> > If your distro still somehow manages to provide libetonyek, you might
> > try to build with autogen option `--with-system-libetonyek` as a
> > workaround.
>
> Hi Leo,
>
> Your build of libetonyek will succeed if you fully upgrade your -current
> system. In that case, the boost version will be 1.85.0 (not the 1.83.0
> version giving you errors) and libetonyek.SlackBuild will create an
> installable package without any change. Once installed,
> LibreOffice.SlackBuild will use it when compiling LibreOfice. If libetonyek
> is not installed, LibreOffice compilation will build an internal version to
> use.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am on GNU Guix, not Slackware, and I'm testing some major package
updates including the update of Boost from 1.80 to 1.83. We have
LibreOffice 7.6.7.2.

I was able to build LibreOffice by updating Boost to 1.84 but, for
reasons that are specific to Guix, this solution is relatively
undesirable, compared to a hypothetical other solution that only changes
our LibreOffice and libetonyek packaging.

The LibreOffice tarball available from what I think is the canonical
source [0] does not include the sources of Boost or libetonyek, although
it does include some kind of packaging / build scripts and headers for
these libraries in the 'external/' directory.

Do I understand that correctly?

If so, what is the recommended workflow for using non-system copies of
Boost and libetonyek to build LibreOffice?

[0]
https://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/src/7.6.7/libreoffice-7.6.7.2.tar.xz