Re: Which GUI toolkit should I learn so that I can "Hack the UI"

On 2024-05-03 19:15, Printf Debugging wrote:
**Opinions invited**: I want to work on the UI, beyond small issues, like creating custom widgets, notebookbar, tabbed UI etc. I feel that I need to know a GUI toolkit well, like gtk or qt for that. So some days ago, I started playing around with GTK. My question is that which toolkit will be more useful? I picked GTK because we use .ui files for the UI, and being good at GTK will somehow help when working on LO UI, but again I don't know, that's just an idea.

Starting with GTK generally sounds reasonable to me.
Concepts are usually very similar in other toolkits (like Qt), so learning GTK will also help understanding those better.

In any case, I recommend explicitly testing the non-GTK case when doing UI changes (with SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen and qt5/qt6/kf5/kf6 on Linux or by testing on a different platform).