Re: [TDF Community] [Board Discuss] LibreOffice - peer2peer collaboration bits

On 04.05.24 12:05 PM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Heiko wrote:
How to connect two or more individuals? It requires routing
What could be achievable on TDF infrastructure?

Given what I've said above - let's try to make this completely
independent of TDF infrastructure. Either with no switching-server
at all or with something minimal that hopefully might not even need
TDF continuously maintaining a server. Note that maintenance by us
also has privacy implications, much more so than third-party-less
P2P.

Yup. At any rate, requiring any kind of centralized server
infrastructure has inevitable scalability challenges. It would still
be useful if TDF could help with bootstrapping whatever server
infrastructure will be needed, though.

I believe it's crucial for the success to have this networking open and free for everyone. And I cannot think of many alternatives to TDF, hosting the discovery and handshake around LibreOffice Technology. While we clearly should not route the actual content through the server for privacy and performance reason, it needs to be some kind of registration to allow connections at a random end-point and to join one and more other to this address.

Probably not a big deal to do the connection and to establish some kind of server-client networking, and maybe existing protocols provide all the necessary stuff but I wonder how well it scales. Is average customer hardware capable to keep track of 1M users at the same time? Or 100M?

Given all that is possible, are there non-technical implications that requires us to govern the process?