Re: Adding support for the Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB)

On 2024-03-27 17:40, Till Kamppeter wrote:
On 27/03/2024 16:22, Michael Weghorn wrote:

Are you aware of any specific reasons why distros would prefer direct use of CUPS API over CPDB other than the usual packaging efforts needed for any new library?

No.

It could only happen that some distros are perhaps not aware of CPDB and therefore try to go the way of directly talking with CUPs.

Good, then I currently see no blocker for requiring CPDB for CUPS 3.x support. Distros will then become aware once they're packaging any software depending on CPDB at latest.

OK. If CPDB is used it must be taken care that we nowhere talk with CUPS directly, as otherwise non-CUPS CPDB backends (cloud printing services) will not work.

Yes, that makes sense. (For the CPDB case, we won't want to use CUPS directly anymore, as CPDB API should be providing everything that's needed, as you mentioned earlier.)

Michael