Re: ESC meeting minutes: 2024-02-22

Hi *,

Am 23.02.24 um 16:44 schrieb Dennis Roczek:

* Deprecating Windows 7 and 8/8.1? (Ilmari)
  * Firefox 115 ESR is the last release supporting anything older than Windows 10
     + EOL of that is September 2024, FWIW (Miklos)
   * Chrome 110 (released a year ago) requires Windows 10
   * Market share looks like 5% of Windows.
   * What does "deprecating" mean? (Hossein)
     + deprecating means: announcement of the intention (Ilmari)
  * Amend wording to make clear that OS versions no longer supported by the OS Vendor are only compatible on a best-effort basis, no explicit testing is done, and while we don't intentionally break functionality some things might not work without us realizing (Cloph)   * If the release notes say so, the website will also need updating (Stephane)
     + that can be done, but it comes in 2025
AI: add this to the 24.8 release notes (Ilmari)

Just want to add and give my +1: even the "obscure" POS versions which included security patches for Windows 7 (registry hack open vor everybody, I used it) is obsolete since October 2021 and the ESU paid stuff will end in Oct 2024!

Best regards,

Dennis