Re: Making it easier to start contributing to LibreOffice development

On 9.8.2023 19.32, David Booth wrote:
SUMMARY:
I think it would help if it were easier to get started on contributing to LibreOffice development.   I tried, but gave up after 4+ hours.  I don't know where is the best place to make this suggestion.

BACKGROUND:
A few months ago I ran into a problem using LibreOffice.  Since I have experience with software development -- I'm a software architect with multiple degrees in Computer Science -- I wanted to help improve it.  I followed instructions as I could find them, but found them them unclear.  After spending 4+ hours I was unable to reach the point of being able to get started and had to stop, due to other priorities.

Perhaps if I get another burst of volunteer energy I could try again someday.  And if I do, maybe a good first task would be to improve the instructions for contributing to LibreOffice development.   In the meantime I thought I should at least share my experience, in case someone else might be inspired to improve the instructions.

Hello,

it's true that depending on the platform (*cough* Windows) the build setup can be tedious. This is not set in stone, however, and devs are working on improvements.

You can send me a private email and we can schedule a mentoring chat where we go through the first steps. It is normal these days for all new contributors.

Regards,
Ilmari Lauhakangas
Development Marketing at The Document Foundation