Re: ESC meeting minutes: 2023-07-13

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: ESC meeting minutes: 2023-07-13
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 16:51:16 +0200
From: Miklos Vajna <vmiklos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libreoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: libreoffice-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, projects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* Present:
     + Cloph, Gabriel, Heiko, Hossein, Ilmari, Michael W, Michael S,
Regina, Stephan, Olivier, Eike, Xisco, Thorsten, Miklos, Tomaz, Khaled,
Justin, Stephane

* Change Skia/Raster to enabled by default (Roman)
   + see https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/154322
   + I think we should only make any such change on the release branch
(Noel)
   + it would be disappointing to degrade the skia support in LO (Hossein)
     + but if nobody steps up to do the GPU-specific work...
   + interested in svg-in-toolbars using skia (Hossein)
     + the SVG icons are rasterized to PNGs on the fly (Ilmari)
     + we have some kind of graphic tests that we could use to startup
to detect if Skia can be safely turned on with Vulkan, but it needs some
work (Tomaz)
       + plan to progress with this, but low-priority
       + but could be a solution long-term
     + toolbar icons: all svgs are turned into png, exactly to help
performance
       + our svg import doesn't handle our small icons currently
       + something to fix sooner or later
       + if using Skia for SVG, then it has to be built everywhere,
currently it's OK to disable it at build-time
       + the Debian maintainer is rather unimpressed by Skia (Michael S)
       + Current implementation is 10 times slower compared to Skia
(Hossein)
         + hope to have tenders to move this forward
       + svg icons was already a motivation for tendering (Tomaz)
         + would also improve svg import

Hi all. Unfortunately I don't see any AI about Skia/Raster enabled by default in the minutes. Was it there?
--
Best regards
Roman Kuznetsov