Re: BinaryDataContainer swapping ? ...

On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 at 14:04, Tomaž Vajngerl <tomaz.vajngerl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of the issues with letting the OS deal with all that is that the OS has no idea what and when it can swap out - it just uses LRU when there is a memory pressure, or not. We can do it much more effectively and do less work, for example not keep it in the

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

I think our current code is doing the best that it can, but it fundamentally cannot make as good a decision as the OS because it does not have the same global view of the machine.

For example, in performance profiles, I regularly see my very powerful Windows machine with tons of RAM running like a Pentium because LibreOffice is spending all its time unnecessarily pushing things into temp files [0].

Presumably, people who work primarily on Linux never see these issues because /tmp on Linux acts like a RAM drive on fast machines with lots of memory.

So I would personally prefer that we just let the LRU algorithm of the OS swap logic do its thing.

Regards, Noel.

[0] This was the primary motivation behind the utl::TempFileFast work, which helped some cases, but in other places, Libreoffice still insists on having a named temporary file (mostly because of the UCB layer).