Re: Offset uniqueness in vector of ColorSteps

Hi Regina,

On 3/15/23 15:07, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Armin,

Armin Le Grand schrieb am 15.03.2023 um 10:54:
Hi Regina,

thought about it deeper, and it's even getting stranger quickly. Let me express my thoughts about possible problems. I will use an example: A ColorStop sequence of four colors, (a..d)o for offset, (a..d)c for the color. So let's look at

     1) ao = 0%, ac
     2) bo = 50%, bc
     3) co = 50%, cc
     4, do = 100%, dc

The order these should be used is defined by the offsets.

The order is defined by the order of the <stop> elements in the SVG (and ODF) markup. If offsets do not follow this order they have to be adjusted on reading the markup. Rules for that are described in
13.2.4 SVG 1.1 (Second Edition) https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/
or
14.2.4 SVG 2 (Editors Draft)
https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/pservers.html#StopNotes
Ah, thanks! That's what I was looking for - I was not sure if it is allowed to use the order in markup at all.

So the order of stops with identical offset is given by the order of them in markup and after reading the markup as order in your vector. The import filter are responsible to generate the correct vector. And painting must use the order inside the vector.

So in your example the vector would always contain (0%|ac),(50%|bc),(50%|cc),(100%|dc) and that will generate smooth transition from ac to bc, then abrupt change from bc to cc, followed by smooth transition from cc to dc.

There is no ambiguity.
Okay, then I will use it like that - and hope everyone defining/using these is aware of this (!)

Kind regards,
Regina
Thanks and regards,
    Armin

ALG (PGP: EE1C 4B3F E751 D8BC C485 DEC1 3C59 F953 D81C F4A2)