Re: Consider changing version numbering scheme

Hi y'all,

Italo Vignoli wrote:
> The so called marketing tribe at TDF has asked to change the
> numbering scheme to someting similar to Ubuntu several years ago,
> but the suggestion was completely ignored.

Not completely ignored, I'd say. There was the 2020/2025 MarCom plan
[1], plus the discussions around moving to a rolling release model,
that also IIRC included CalVer naming. One of the things many people
considered very important for that model though, was auto-updating
binaries. That part is still stuck, since it needs some decent amount
of engineering (both inside LibreOffice, as well as for infra).

But I don't see a reason not to decouple the two aspects, besides the
fact that the messaging is presumably easier when bundled.

[1] https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/Z6Y2YeDKHoRW3s8

Cheers,

-- Thorsten