Re: DOCX import: MS Office WordArt to LO Fontwork

Hi Miklos,

Miklos Vajna schrieb am 15.12.2022 um 09:34:
Hi Regina,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 11:39:03PM +0100, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(B)
The current import does not generate a Fontwork at all. However, LO will
recreate the WordArt from the GrabBags, if the document is resaved to docx
and nothing on the shape was changed. With my work, a Fontwork is created
which will nicely look as far it is principle possible and will be kept when
converting to ODF, but resave to docx looses the styling of the Fontwork.

How to progress? Use this approach nevertheless and start working on export
of Fontwork to WordArt after that (which would include export from ODF), or
extend my work to cover export too?

I think it makes sense to progress in steps. Let's get the DOCX import
in, then you can look at the DOCX export. And next time perhaps do it in
the other order to avoid temporary problems. :-)

You are right about the order. And the export is not trivial. On the one hand you have to consider special features like a fontwork shape in a frame or a fontwork shape with bitmap fill. On the other hand, the export part is also used by Impress, so it has to fit there as well. The import part took me almost two months. The export part will probably take even longer, because I still have to work out the export to VML and it is not yet clear to what extent and under what conditions formatting originally in MS Word can and should be restored. Maybe I should try to improve the export first? The import is now in Gerrit and can be reactivated at any time.

Kind regards,
Regina