Re: What's the license of external library?

On 09/12/2022 11:23, taichi wrote:
OK, so if it is a patch I added, I can commit these patches to upstream.

I have one last question.
If those patches are merged into upstream, will it affect the upstream license?

Copyright law says that if it is your work (unless you have a contract with eg your employer that says otherwise) you are the copyright OWNER.

As such, you are the person who GIVES the licence, who MAKES the conditions, and (within reason) you can do anything you like.

LibreOffice makes it a condition of ACCEPTING patches, that you give them the code under the terms of the MPL (or something compatible), any other upstream will make similar conditions - they won't ACCEPT it unless you give it to them on their terms.

The thing to remember is that if you wrote it - if it's your code - all the normal rules don't apply because you're on the *other* side of the contract. If you're writing much stuff you really need to have a solid grasp of the basics.

Cheers,
Wol