Re: clang vs gcc build performance (executable not build time)

On 23.11.2021 18:11, Michael Meeks wrote:
On 22/11/2021 16:28, Arnaud Versini wrote:
Next crazy test I would like to do is between MSVC and clang on windows ! But it seems harder !

    Ah - now that would be lovely being able to use the same compiler everywhere =) would be really interesting to compare the performance there.

IIRC, there were already comparisons (about other software) clearly indicating Clang-built binary performance being superior to created by MSVC.

The only thing I would love to note is that besides performance, there's also usability of development tools that matters. If changing to Clang as compiler on Windows would mean we can't use Visual Studio's debugger (or its use would be less efficient), it would be a really sad thing. OTOH, I hope that today, Visual Studio works much better with clang-built binaries (it even suggests clang as part of its components when installing, which we use for Skia, so we already have it on Windows development systems).

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski