Re: oox import/export of custom shape extrusion

Hi Miklos,

Miklos Vajna schrieb am 19.03.2021 um 08:18:
Hi Regina,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 04:24:38PM +0100, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to work on getting oox import/export of custom shape extrusion.

Great, much appreciated.

In case a grabBag exists, it will be necessary to merge values from the
internal "extrusion" property with values from the grabBag on export. In
case no grabBag exists, writing OOXML from the internal properties is
needed. In case no internal "extrusion" property exists, the current
solution of writing the gragBag is OK.

Should I use separate solutions for the three cases? Advantage would be,
that the development can be done without interfering the current solution
for "only grabBag". But a solution for "merge" would be able to solve the
situation "no grabBag" and "only grabBag" too, so doing only that might
avoid code duplication.

The motivation bethind grab-bag is to preserve properties from OOXML,
which is not handled by libreoffice core. So in case there is a grab-bag
attached to a shape and you use the UI to modify the shape, it's
perfectly valid to just empty the grab-bag. This is predictable behavior
and you will never have to handle a mix of real document model and
grab-bag for the same shape.

As an example, we store smartart data in the shape grab-bag. But once
you edit the shape text, we empty the grab-bag, so your text edits are
not lost on save (since commit
a01ae07740e5c311fcc37f2ac2e2a0a2a1935920).

Does that help?

It would indeed make the structure much easier, if only the situations "no grabBag" and "only grabBag" need to be handled. So that is fine for me.

OOX has some 3D properties, which do not exist in ODF and/or cannot be rendered by LO. Those would be lost in a PPTX - LO - PPTX roundtrip. Of cause they will be lost in PPTX - LO - ODF anyway. I would not mind loosing them, but what do your customers expect?

Such properties are for sure property 'Bevel', color of light (used in presets "sunset" and "freeze" for example) and property 'Contour'. I have not yet investigated, what is possible in ODF in regard to property 'Material' and which of the Material presets LO would be able to render although no UI exists.

Kind regards
Regina