Re: Signature process in LibreOffice 6.3

Hi,

On 2020-02-07 18:46, Steve Martin wrote:
After I signed the document, I decompressed it again and copied the meta.xml file into the Thumbnails directory. Thanks to the previously added file entry in the manifest.xml file, I can now compress all the partial files back into a ZIP archive and open the document with LibreOffice as normal, without being shown the message that the file is corrupted.

However, I don't understand why do I get now the message that the signature is not valid? I decompressed the ODT document with the invalid signature and compared the documentsignatures.xml file contained in the META-INF folder with the documentsignatures.xml file that was created immediately after the signature was created. Both files are exactly the same and neither contain the value "Thumbnails/meta.xml" in the URI attribute in the <Reference> elements.

Since none of the files that are listed in the documentsignatures.xml were manipulated, the signature should be valid? Or is there another signature somewhere besides the XML signature about the file structure of the ODT document?

OASIS OpenDocument version 1.2 sect. 3.16 Document Signatures [1] :

Document signatures shall be stored in a file called META-INF/documentsignatures.xml in the package as described in section 3.5 of the OpenDocument specification part 3. Document signatures shall contain a <ds:Reference> element for each file within the package, with the exception that <ds:Reference> elements for the META-INF/documentsignatures.xml file containing the signature, and any files contained in the package whose relative path starts with "external-data/" should be omitted.

Note that "Document signatures shall contain a <ds:Reference> element *for each file within the package*", and the contents of Thumbnails is not listed aming the exceptions.

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#__RefHeading__1415062_253892949

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski