Signature process in LibreOffice 6.3

Hello,

my name is Steve Martin and I am an enrolled student at the Ruhr University Bochum. I have a question regarding the implementation of the signature process in LibreOffice.

I use a self-created X.509 certificate for signing my ODT documents.

As soon as I sign my ODT document, the file "documentsignatures.xml" is created in the META-INF folder in the OpenDocument package. Before I signed my ODT document, I had decompressed the ODT document and added an additional file entry in META-INF/manifest.xml:

<manifest:file-entry manifest:full-path="Thumbnails/meta.xml" manifest:media-type="text/xml"/>

Then I saved the manifest.xml file and compressed all the files back into a ZIP package. I can now open this file with LibreOffice and sign it with my X.509 certificate.

After I signed the document, I decompressed it again and copied the meta.xml file into the Thumbnails directory. Thanks to the previously added file entry in the manifest.xml file, I can now compress all the partial files back into a ZIP archive and open the document with LibreOffice as normal, without being shown the message that the file is corrupted.

However, I don't understand why do I get now the message that the signature is not valid? I decompressed the ODT document with the invalid signature and compared the documentsignatures.xml file contained in the META-INF folder with the documentsignatures.xml file that was created immediately after the signature was created. Both files are exactly the same and neither contain the value "Thumbnails/meta.xml" in the URI attribute in the <Reference> elements.

Since none of the files that are listed in the documentsignatures.xml were manipulated, the signature should be valid? Or is there another signature somewhere besides the XML signature about the file structure of the ODT document?

Thanks many for your help

Steve