Re: skipping not 'usefull' ip addresses of a dns lookup

On 8/26/23 5:32 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
There is a CLI "version" of Wireshark called "TShark" (tshark). It is from the wireshark developers. It provides more detailed information than tcpdump, i.e., the Wireshark protocol dissection. (I usually start with tcpdump for a first impression. TShark provides an alternative to copying a capture file to a system with a GUI.)

I absolutely agree.

My experience is that most systems I want to capture packets on do have tcpdump installed but don't have tshark installed. Or at least at the time I want to do the capture.

As such, I use tcpdump for things on system and occasionally pull pcap(ng) files back to my workstation where I use Wireshark with all my preferences and local name resolution information.

I have also used Wireshark's remote capability a few times where it can use ssh to remotely run tcpdump on a remote system. That's a very slick feature when you take the few minutes to set it up the first time. -- I did this on systems I routinely captured traffic on. E.g. I frequently have my primary workstation pre-configured to ssh into the router / firewall and remotely run tcpdump to display in Wireshark running on said workstation.

Grant. . . .