Re: ARP flux vs. weak/strong ES model

Hi, Erik...

Erik Auerswald wrote:
Hi,

On 2/14/19 17:21, Grant Taylor wrote:
On 02/14/2019 01:31 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:

<huge snip>

Linux's cavalier default behaviour in answering ARP requests might be motivated by the weak ES model in helping other systems on the LAN reach the Linux server, even if they use an IP address assigned to another LAN the Linux server is connected to. Thus the problem of "ARP flux" is probably closely related to how Linux implements the weak ES model, but not necessarily to the weak ES model itself as described in RFC 1122.

Thus I argue that using "ARP flux" to describe the ARP problem observed with Linux is preferable to attributing the problems to Linux's implementation of the weak ES model.

Please note that I have not searched for the origin or an authoritative source on "ARP flux", and cannot guarantee that it is indeed consistently used to describe the aforementioned problem. But it did turn up on related web searches, and seems to directly refer to the ARP problem at hand.

Sorry for being pedantic.

Thanks so much for a very cogent explanation of the difference. I'd been meaning to do some digging since spying this thread scrolling by. One of the things I like best about this list is the way it makes me scratch my head. Usually, someone else comes up with a good answer before I'm done scratching, which is another thing I like. :-)

Some interesting discussion of the Linux ARP flux problem, here (2.1.4 et seq):

http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp.html

Linked from there, and perhaps relevant to the original problem:

http://ja.ssi.bg/#iparp

(I guess I should probably push those to the original thread.)

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA