Question about 'via', 'src' and 'nexthop'

I'm getting the impression that 'via' is only used when the IP address is not local to the device, is this correct or is there more to it?

Can someone elaborate on the use of src? The statements I have seen ("the source address to prefer when sending to the destinations covered by the route prefix.") seem vague. When should 'src' be used and why?

It seems that 'nexthop' is used for load balancing and possibly redundancy, are there any other situations or reasons?

Thanks for the help.