Re: Should I define 4K classes if I want to give 4K user each a fix bandwidth of 70kbps

Akshat Kakkar wrote:
I am having around 4K users. I have to limit each user to 70kbps
bandwidth. For this, I define 4K filters and 4K classes. Each filter
is matched to each ip of an user, and each class is configured for a
rate of 70kbps. Then I define 4K sfq qdisc mapped to each class. It
works fine. No issues.

But just that creating 4K exactly similar classes with just a
difference in classid, is a kind of time consuming. The same holds
for filters and sfq too.

I assume you are using hashing filters for run time speed.

As for loading time, in some test I did years ago using tc batch to load
many rules was way way faster than a script.

So if you are not already doing it try adjusting your script to produce
a file with just the rules ie. no "tc" at the start of every line and
load it with

tc -b <filename>

Is there a simpler way of doing it?

Can't think of one - which doesn't mean there isn't - I don't really do
qos seriously.