Re: Unexpected result with PFIFO or PRIO queue disciplines

Miguel Ángel Bernabé wrote:

My gateway is connected to the internet via ATM/DSL connection,
upstream speed is 0.6Mbps and downstream speed is 10Mbps. If i
configure the router as a bridge between LAN/ATM ports and I try to
connect via PPPoE from LAN (so i configure the Qdisc for ppp0
interface) I get the same unexpected result, so the bottleneck is not
in my router.

You need to use something like htb that rate limits and set the limit
for your wan speed.

dsl/atm have overheads so ideally you need to know exactly how you are
connecting (pppoa/pppoe/llc/vc mux/ipoa etc) to allow for these. Failing
that you will need to set speed somewhat below the sync speed.

Are `prio` or `pfifo_fast` queue disciplines broken in the Linux
kernel?.

Not broken, but without something rate limiting you need to be heavily
maxing the eth and even then there may be buffering in driver/somewhere
that can mess up some tests.