Re: PRIO qdisc traffic does not work as expected

GGounot wrote:
Hello,

This is a simple case I started from lartc howto but I can't make it
work.

The idea is : * 3 priorities * ftp.free.fr on prio 1 * 0.0.0.0/0 prio
2 * ftp.lip6.fr prio 3

Or, when Internet line is saturated and I download from ftp.free.fr,
my download should supersede all other downloads (my download should
take all bandwidth). On the other hand a download from ftp.lip6.fr
should occur only when there is some available bandwidth.

But actually, when I download from ftp.free.fr and from ftp.lip6.fr
at the same time, both downloads have the same speed.

This is the script : _________________ #!/bin/bash

tc=/sbin/tc ETH=eth1 #connected to the LAN

$tc qdisc del dev $ETH root 2>/dev/null $tc qdisc del dev $ETH
ingress 2>/dev/null

### PRIO ### # qdisc "prio", 3 levels $tc qdisc add dev $ETH root
handle 1: prio $tc qdisc add dev $ETH parent 1:1 handle 10: pfifo $tc
qdisc add dev $ETH parent 1:2 handle 20: pfifo $tc qdisc add dev $ETH
parent 1:3 handle 30: pfifo

PRIO1="212.27.60.27" #ftp.free.fr PRIO2="0.0.0.0/0"
PRIO3="195.83.118.1" #ftp.lip6.fr # echo Prio 1 : $PRIO1 echo Prio 2
: $PRIO2 echo Prio 3 : $PRIO3

$tc filter add dev $ETH parent 1:0 prio 1 protocol ip u32 match ip
src $PRIO1 flowid :1 $tc filter add dev $ETH parent 1:0 prio 3
protocol ip u32 match ip src $PRIO2 flowid :2 $tc filter add dev $ETH
parent 1:0 prio 2 protocol ip u32 match ip src $PRIO3 flowid :3
_________________

When I run : tc -s qdisc ls dev eth1 I see the 2 FIFOs showing
traffic going through. I don't understand what I am doing wrong, any
help will be appreciated.

I don't understand your setup so 2 options.

1.

You are only shaping the outgoing traffic, which isn't going to help
with downloads incoming traffic. There isn't a perfect solution for
shaping from the wrong end of a bottleneck, but you can sort of do it by
using ifb and limiting the the rate to say 10-20% below the incoming
bandwidth with htb/hfsc/etc.

2.

Your shaping is actually seeing the download traffic leaving eth but not
working because there is further buffering downstream after the prio so
you would need to again use something where you can set the
rates/overheads to make sure you are the bottleneck - this time you
shouldn't need to sacrifice bandwidth.