Re: QOS on GRE/IPSec tunnel interface

Greetings,

On 04/15, Luc Paulin wrote:
> Hi,
> I am would like to know if it's possible to do QOS on GRE/IPSec interface ?
> I am would like to do traffic prioritization over a gre/ipsec tunnel that has a lot of video/voip traffic in addition to regular traffic (ftp/http... ) Is this something possible ?
>
> When I apply the rule on the interface it look like class doesn't do
> what they are suppose to do. ie(the traffic rate is way too low of the
> actual real traffic flow)

The most probable issues is that GRE interfaces don't have a queue per
default (i.e. a one packet queue) causing major inaccuracies. An easy
solution would be to just set an explicit queue length with ip:

	ip link set dev $gre_dev txqueuelen 32

If you decide to utilize ifb devices you have keep the same in mind. The
optimal queue length probably varies depending on your qdisc, speed,
etc., but 32 packets is usually enough for low bandwidths (<100Mbit/s).
Of course shaping will only be effective if the GRE tunnel constitutes
the choke point in your set up and the underlying medium has a
reasonable amount of additional bandwidth.

Regards,
Ben