Re: Problem with HTB bandwidth slicing when using TCP traffic

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Andy Furniss <adf.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Andy Furniss <adf.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>

>> At rates below 3Mbit fq_codel needs a bit a tweaking we've
>> discovered, basically it helps to have a "target" parameter > the
>> cost of a single MTU's packet - e.g at 1Mbit, we tend to use a target
>> of 15 and an interval of 150, .5mbit 30, 300. Above 4mbit target and
>> interval are fine with the defaults.
>>
>> Changing the default quantum helps also at rates below 40Mbit - we
>> use 300.
>

> Interesting info, thanks.
>

>> For way more detail on how this stuff works,
>>
>> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Wondershaper_Must_Die
>

> Hmm, while I agree policers are often crap and wondershaper should have
> died or at least had the glaring htb misconfiguration fixed, the author
> went incommunicado so it didn't happen.

I'd like to see an update happen.

> To be fair to him, htb wasn't even in kernel at the time so it was just
> a port of the CBQ script - I assume this is the reason.

I agree that most resources on shaping etc are out of date.

> It's a bit strange that the script is critically commented, is not
> vanilla wondershaper (extra class thus making the configuration error
> worse), but there is no mention of it.

There must be a dozen variants of wondershaper out there. I think I
picked this one from the wondershaper "ng" project.

> "It" being that rates on htb leafs are not limited by the parent, so
> when all classes are loaded it's way over the line rate.

I missed that.

> As for fq_codel - it's good, but it wouldn't tempt me to bung my interactive
> in with bulk.

Well, try it with and without. You might be surprised by the
effectiveness of the "fast queue" concept for most interactive
traffic.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoeiland-joergensen-aqm-fq-codel-00

But a three level shaper "simple.qos" is what we mostly use. While
this code is mostly targeted at openwrt derived systems, it can be
used with few modifications on any linux os (mostly making sure you
have modprobed various needed modules, and setting a bunch of
variables right)

https://github.com/dtaht/ceropackages-3.10/tree/master/net/sqm-scripts/files/usr/lib/sqm

Example of use:

IFACE=eth0 UPLINK=4000 DOWNLINK=20000 INSMOD=modprobe ./simple.qos

The other variables are documented in functions.sh

--
Dave Täht

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article