Re: Limit bandwidth per-user (uid/gid)

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 04:38:54PM +0100, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/23/2013 08:12 AM, Paride Legovini wrote:
> >>
> >>Assuming that the satellite link is expensive and has long roundtrip
> >>times, it is probably a wise idea not to throw away any data which has
> >>already been sent over the satellite link.
> >
> >You're perfectly right here: the link is expensive and the round trip is
> >700ms at best, but reaches easily 3000ms or even 4000ms when the network
> >is congested.
>
> Those long RTTs will get even longer if you add shaping of your own.
> Most software is written with much shorter RTTs in mind, triggering
> retransmits after one to three seconds without acknowledgement or
> reply.

> This kind of behavior can cripple goodput of the satellite link. You
> might want to keep this in mind when designing traffic shaping.

Dear Erik,

I agree that this is a very important point. The fact is that I don't
work in the ICT team here (and I'm happy I don't!). I'm in charge for
some scientific projects here and I somehow took over the task of
developing a system to send data to the civilized world, as I want it to
be done as I say. This means that I'm already behind a firewall, a
commercial product which configuration if unknown to me.

That's it!

Paride