Limit bandwidth per-user (uid/gid)

Dear all,

I'm working in an Antarctic research station where our connection to the
Internet is a 512kbps satellite link.

I want to set up a server where each research project has an account
where they send data via sftp or rsync; this data is then transferred
overnight to a server in Europe. My idea is to use a separate cronjob
or daemon for each user that runs with the user's privileges.

What I want to do is:

1. Limit the total bandwidth that a group (GID) can generate. There
   should be separate limits for inbound and outbound traffic.

2. Limit the bandwidth per-user (UID), so if the GID is allowed to
   generate 384kbps of traffic, and 3 users are using the network, each
   user can at most benefit of 128kbps. If there's only one user he gets
   all the 384kbps.
   Again there should be different limits for inbound and outbound
   traffic.
   This should work regardless the number of connections the user makes.

I played a bit with iptables and tc, but the only way I found to do
something like this is to manually set a different mark for each user
and then use tc, but I'd prefer a solution where there's no need to set
up any rule manually if a user is added or removed. Also, the
--uid-owner option works only for outbound traffic.

Do you have any suggestion?
I think that you understood the problem, so even if a different approach
comes to your mind please let me know.

Thank you,

PL