Re: Not hitting rated speed on HTB downstream

On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 17:30 +0800, Horace wrote:
> IFB sits before netfilter, which provides less flexibility and means
> that you can't mark packets to classify your traffic for shaping. It is,
> however, in the vanilla kernel. Disadvantage: less flexibility.
>
> Thanks. What exactly need to be marked with iptables if you can simply
> use tc u32 filter instead? Just for stateful marking, i.e.
> NEW/ESTABLISHED?

Stateful marking is one advantage, but there are many more reasons, as
you have access to the whole range of iptables matching rules.

> BTW, I've tested with IFB ingress shaping, the problem still persists.
> I can see the tokens going negative even when the rate does not reach
> the limit.

We'll need some more information in order to help. Please post your
exact current set up and rules, and if possible narrow it down to a
particular instance that's showing the problem.

Andy