Re: Not hitting rated speed on HTB downstream

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 09:46 +0800, Horace wrote:
> Didn't know that IMQ was a thing of past and IFB is a successor to it.
> There's not many documentations about IMQ and IFB on the internet.

IMQ is still current. It provides the ability to hook into traffic
passing through the netfilter stack. It's not in the vanilla kernel and
from what I understand is unlikely to ever be. Disadvantage: requires
kernel patching.

IFB sits before netfilter, which provides less flexibility and means
that you can't mark packets to classify your traffic for shaping. It is,
however, in the vanilla kernel. Disadvantage: less flexibility.

So, depends on your use case, but if you can you can manage with the
reduced features then your preference should be IFB as no kernel
patching is required.