Re: Why are my cburst settings ignored?

On Sat, 2013-07-06 at 18:23 +0200, maillinglistredcap@xxxxxx wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to this list and new to traffic control as well. I want to do some traffic
> shaping on my home network and over the past few days I've studied the subject
> quite a lot. Today I decided to some first experiments on my network using the
> HTB queueing discpline which seems to suit my purposes best. Well the first
> results were disappointing... most likely due to my lack of knowledge.

You're not sending any traffic into your single leaf class.

> I tried to improve the result by tinkering with the burst and cburst
> parameters of HTB only to find that my cburst settings don't have any
> effect at all.

I wouldn't worry about these settings for the moment.

> parzival traffic # tc qdisc del dev eth0 root 2>/dev/null
> parzival traffic # tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 110

You're setting the default class to be the one with minor ID 110, but
there is no class with this ID so the traffic does not go anywhere.

> parzival traffic # tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 100kbit
> burst 1650b cburst 1800b

Set the classid to be 1:110 instead.

> parzival traffic # tc -s class show dev eth0
> class htb 1:1 root prio 0 rate 100000bit ceil 100000bit burst 1650b cburst
> 1650b
>  Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
>  rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
>  lended: 0 borrowed: 0 giants: 0
>  tokens: 2062500 ctokens: 2250000

The stats above show that no traffic is going through the qdisc (note
all the zeros).

Andy