Re: Performance concerns with large (2000-3000) number of tc classes

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Anton 'EvilMan' Danilov
<littlesmilingcloud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am in the early stages of planning a shared hosting platform that
>> will use tc to limit outbound bandwidth usage.
>>
>> Before I get too far along, I wonder if anyone has direct experience
>> with large numbers of classes, or can explain why it is a bad idea?
>>
>> In other words, what sort of performance degradation, if any, would
>> there be in processing a qdisc with 5 classes vs one with 2000?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joseph
>
> Hi, Joseph.
>
> Difficulty of scheme with big number of classes/disciplines is in
> classification.
> Best choice in this case is u32 filter with hashing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The idea was to use cgroup net_cls.classid to tag packets and filter
based on that.

If I go with some hash scheme, what might a good maximum depth be? Or
width, depending on how one looks at it I suppose.

--
Joseph