Thresholds on rtt or packet loss vs. static rates?

Do you know if there are any projects to shape traffic based on thresholds on round trip time or packet loss, instead of statically configured rates?

We subscribe to a 1.5mbit full duplex connection, and before any fine tuning, I'm aggressively limiting up and downstream traffic to 1mbit each, to "own" the queues:

tc qdisc add dev eth0.2 root handle 1 tbf rate 1mbit burst 5k latency 70ms
  tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 1 tbf rate 1mbit burst 5k latency 70ms

Right now our upstream traffic is about .4mbit and our downstream is about .8mbit, so I guess our traffic shaping is just forwarding packets as fast as they arrive. But today the average round trip time is over 4 seconds and packet loss is about 40%. Is it possible to automatically reduce the rates in situations like this, until the round trip time or packet loss improve? Then periodically increase the rates again, while monitoring performance?

Do you know about any resources related to automatically shaping traffic based on thresholds, such as on round trip time or packet loss, instead of statically configured rates?