Re: Limit *sum* of upstream plus downstream?

Jack Bates wrote:

It's possible due to acks getting buffered to see uploads affecting
download speed even on full duplex links. You can avoid this using tc.

Thanks, I checked our subscription and it's for 1.5mbit *full duplex*.
Our graphs of total internet traffic (ntop) show flat tops at about
1.5mbit, and our graphs of up/downstream internet traffic (Cacti) show
an inverse relationship, so I assumed that we're not getting what is
advertised (unfortunately we have limited alternatives) but maybe this
inverse relationship is due to acks getting buffered.

That's good, at least it makes your setup more normal.

 > What do you want to achieve with your shaping?

My goal is to prioritize "high priority, "low priority", and "other"
traffic.

My second goal is to achieve per-host fairness, so one host doesn't grab
the available bandwidth with a download manager.

I can imagine future refinements, but I need to achieve these two goals
first.

OK, one thing to remember is that for incoming traffic setting your rates to 1.5mbit won't do anything as no queues will ever build - so to get things to work you need to sacrifice some bandwidth.

For outgoing you should be able to get close to 1.5mbit (though in practice that depends whether the 1.5 rate is at ip level or some link level that has some extra overheads to account for).